Windows update reboots

Strange, haven’t had the OS disobey the active hours setting even once here. Anyway, since this thread is about how to get Sumatra to deal better with unexpected reboots I won’t waste time attempting to elicit more information from you to diagnose what may be wrong with your system.

I’ve been using the pre-release v3.2.10766 64-bit version for a while now, and the “session restore” (or whatever we’re calling it) is not working. The last 2 days my PC at work has locked up at some point overnight. When I reboot, Sumatra opens with no files open.

I think some of those who’ve successfully observed session-restore work, may be restarting Windows “gracefully”, which is not the same as things like power-loss, lockup, etc.

I really like the “lightness” and simplicity of Sumatra, but this one basic issue is making it not-useful for me.

I’m happy to send any additional information which could help diagnose this issue.

@grojguy
Your long term problem must be very frustrating
It is natural that during a sudden brown out / power outage or other lock-up of your system the working session cannot be saved, what is unusual is that the (at that time) session file seems to be reset to zero in some way.

have you tried saving it as per your comment to manually save Windows update reboots on Dec 6th and my reply Windows update reboots see also details on Windows update reboots

A question may be raised about passwords to open PDFs since they also are saved in the settings.ini file

If the file is reset they would also be “forgotten”, if so this IS related since it appears SumatraPDF does not keep a back-up of the settings file during such an event, and thus the solution is the same as for others (keep your OWN back-up.)

It IS frustrating that during an all too frequent crash of supposedly military grade applications that it WILL insist on replacing the latest work file with a much older system back-up, it is difficult to find a balance between keeping a current work file in reserve (which could itself be corrupt) or spending weeks rebuilding from sources so I manually keep my own back-up copies on a regular basis thus only losing a couple of hours of most recent work

@SumatraPeter @GitHubRulesOK I gave you guys moderator status via admin panel:

42%20AM

Here’s what moderators can do: https://meta.discourse.org/t/moderator-permission-set/6307/5, https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-moderation-guide/63116

My approach to spammers is to delete and block the user who posts spam messages and delete their posts. It’s especially easy if there’s only one post from such user account.

I will continue to moderate as well.

@kjk direct reply to your post,
Many Thanks (I think :slight_smile: )
if you consider this responce is needs to be re-moved from this thread as off topic feel free to delete