Forum moved here!

Home / White stripes when printing to Xerox printers

albertosilva

I’ve been using SumatraPDF to print PDF documents, but now having issues when printing to Xerox WorkCentre network printers, where the print output is interrupted with horizontal white stripes.
Attached I’ve uploaded a scanned output printed with Sumatra that illustrates the issue.
The exact same PDFs printed from the same computer to the same printer using another PDF reader is printed with no issues.

Sample:

Any hint on what may be causing this issue?

Thanks,
Alberto Silva

albertosilva

Small detail I forgot to refer, if I print from SumatraPDF to “Microsoft Print to PDF” or “Microsoft XPS Document Writer”, the output does not have those white stripes. Unfortunately I only have Xerox printers available in this network to test with.

GitHubRulesOK

It appears to be a known problem with Xerox ( and a few other) print drivers and their image stream handling see
https://github.com/sumatrapdfreader/sumatrapdf/issues/417 #685 #919 #975 #992 #1058 #1081 if you can track down a setting that reliably clears this issue many business users would be happy. Suggestions that have helped some of the above are the stream format such as emf/raw etc enhancement settings such as PSlevel/optimisation.

albertosilva

Thanks, interesting that another business AIO Xerox (C7022, IIRC) I tested afterwards in the same network is printing fine. As soon as I get back there I’ll see if I can do some more testing in those “WorkCentre” models based on the suggestions from tose links.

gater2244

I experienced repeated print errors when printing Pdfs from Sumatra to a Xerox 6510/6515 Color Printer. The image prints without fault from Adobe Acrobat, Google Chrome, & Foxit Reader.
Could not upload image (pdf file ???) What occurs when printing from Sumatra is Horizontal White Bars blocking out ~0.04" of the image repeating every 0.35". Total image size including the Bars remains unchanged. The error occurs independent of image size i.e. full page vs cropped.
I suspect that Xerox developed a marginal print driver for windows, Error happens for both Win7 and Win10. Works without fault to a HP1606DN monochrome printer
Slim PDF also exhibits this behavior but worse

GitHubRulesOK

Long time known issue with some types of printers especially Xerox
see White horizontal straps on print-outs · Issue #919 · sumatrapdfreader/sumatrapdf · GitHub

It seems it may be related to optimisation settings in the driver