Forum moved here!

Home / Text coding results in garbled symbols only

TinyBit

Hello
on my Win10 I have issues with displaying text in Sumatra. wrong encoding is likely to blame, however in all other PDF viewer and browsers the PDF looks just fine like this example of text
flDaJ7d
, but in Sumatra I get this result
v0tiTt5
Help appreciated.

GitHubRulesOK

Looks like a similar issue to an Apitron Problem file

Note those files can be fixed as per Faulty display - and print - of the PDF in attach · Issue #1708 · sumatrapdfreader/sumatrapdf (github.com)

but SumatraPDF cannot fix such problems if they are not corrected by MuPDF
Unfortunately simple resave or print from a web browser does not fix any missing font definitions The file needs to be corrected in an editor.

TinyBit

Thank you, so it’s the issue of the PDF producing software? I’s made using manager.io , same as the example in issue #1708 you have posted.

GitHubRulesOK

Thanks for the info,
I see their own PDF manual was not written by the same software ! (often the case)

TinyBit

Could you please clarify in plain terms what the issue is from your perspective, this will help the Manager team can resolve it? Thank you

GitHubRulesOK

The method of font encoding used by the PDF writer (Apitron.PDF.Kit or a dependancy) does not include the glyphs mapped in a format understood by MuPDF Although it may be targeted in a way suitable for Adobe Reader.

Their typical font header is
/Type/CMap/CMapName/Adobe-Identity-UCS/CIDSystemInfo
<</Registry(Adobe)/Ordering(UCS)/Supplement 0>>
/WMode 0/UseCMap/Adobe-Identity-UCS/

One solution/fix is to use another means to rewrite/reorder the font encoding such as GhostScript but the modified result whilst more universally readable, is still not perfect, possibly for the same reason.

Given a sample or two Artifex MuPDF @ Bugzilla (ghostscript.com) may (or may not) accept they can change MuPDF to make the translation work consistently.