Forum moved here!

Home / Support for viewing .mhtml files

nkormanik

Not sure if appropriate, but please add allowing view of .mhtml files.

Thanks!
Nicholas Kormanik

GitHubRulesOK

Personally I would be against much of the contents of MHTml files since their prime reason for existance is to be richer than traditional test based file formats. They pose umpteen security issues as they are usually runnable code.

Generally they would need to be neutralised to not run any of their contents so its much safer to convert to PDF and use that as a viewing format.

SumatraPeter

The same can be said of other formats too because technically speaking it’s not as if MHTML is any more dangerous than CHM and EPUB(3), since all can contain scripts along with HTML. Since Sumatra has no scripting support whatsoever, any security issues associated with runnable code would tend to be nullified (lest one forget, in PDFs as well).

So while there may be any number of other reasons for not adding MHTML support (including the simplest one - that kjk doesn’t want to!), security doesn’t seem to be especially valid as one.

nkormanik

Okay, well, just thought I’d ask.

So, what I really need is a great way to convert .mhtml files to .pdf.

As an aside, I prefer to save interesting web pages to .mhtml. The reason being, all contents of the page, including comments, seem to be included in .mhtml files.

Thanks!

Nicholas Kormanik

GitHubRulesOK

Just remember the analytic links are also often retained and can be active even if you block google scripts etc.

Usually I save web pages as single html with folder delete all the google crap and neuter the scripts then add a line feed or two to match page boundaries as desired and print to pdf, or use Edge Save as PDF rather than print to MS pdf