why no Sumatrapdf Reader for Android ?

the engine is good, it’s display all and bufree so far
so, why not this engine use or build up for Android
as apk … ad default program for all pdf

best regards
Blacky

ianas

because sumatrapdf uses windows gdi

which is not available for linux or android an andorid port would require a lot of work, if you have an intel x86 based android you can install sumatrapdf via the wine for android package (this won’t work on arm cpu’s)
but there is a mupdf package available for android you can get it from the mupdf home page or the google play store
https://mupdf.com/downloads/

SumatraPeter

Read the official documentation:

https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/docs/Why-only-Windows-78e2d376690e4034997908c0788f038b.html

blackcrack

ehhh … crap… (hoomer simpson)

thank you for respond and explain :slight_smile:

best regards
Blacky

SumatraPeter

Interesting… @kjk seems to have begun “UNIX portability work”. Does this mean Sumatra will finally be released for platforms other than Windows?

kjk

It’s very unlikely.

My main goal is to be able to compile lower-level, non-gui parts of the code with non-msvc compilers so that I can use their more advanced bug-detecting facilities.

Even that is a lot of work and I might not get there any time soon.

Writing another GUI would be still a lot of work on top of that.

SumatraPeter

Ah well, one can always hope. :slight_smile: It would be nice to have the same familiar lightweight reader across platforms, but still, it’s not as if there aren’t any alternatives on other OSes…

sparkev

I was looking for Windows equivalent of Android’s ebookdroid, and stumbled on Sumatra. If you’re looking for android PDF reader, ebookdroid is the best. It has left/right margin crop that enlarges the text so that one can read most PDF even with tiny phone screen.

Unfortunately, none of the windows PDF readers seem to crop left/right margins. Sumatra crops top and bottom margins when “zoom to content”, but leaves left/right margins intact. That means text is still too small to read even with 7 inch tablets. It would be great if Sumatra add a feature to remove left/right margins when zoomed to full width, and scroll a page with one click so that it can be used with Windows tablets and phones; left half could be previous page, and right half could be next page.

Auto scroll with adjustable scroll speed is another nice feature to have for tablet/phone users, which is available with ebookdroid and Acrobat reader.

timofonic

A curious question: Why is your project named SumatraPDF Reader if it supports lots of other formats too? I’ll never understand why everything has PDF on the name.

Divide et impera

You don’t need to write another GUI, let others do that work. Just teamwork with others to improve essential parts of the program and modularize it as much as possible.

One of the main engines of the machine

I see you use MuPDF and is a perfect choosing for PDF, really.Thanks a lot.

The developers of MuPDF are Artifex Software company. They are the developers of Ghostscript too, a suite of software based on an interpreter for PostScript and PDF.

timofonic

(I put links everywhere, need to divide in messages. Sorry: Divide et impera :smiley: )

. In fact, they have been following closely the born of the new PDF 2.0 (ISO 32000-2) standard and explained in their blog the new stuff and what their flagship product (Ghostscript, of course) is the first to support it (part 1 and part 2)

timofonic

… as you can read in their 4th quarter of results newsletter.

They are an USA-based company and they have BIG clients from Fortune 500 sector (Adobe, HP, Dropbox, Ricoh, Garmin, Konica Minolta…). Despite of that, they aren’t so big and must be very strategic to be profitable. They get the money from contracts for customized solutions, including companies such as Apple and Google.

Current status of ePub support

Artifex Software

They are quite responsive too. I asked them about ePub support and they were brutally sincere:

• They work for profit and invest their efforts based on the requests/needs of their clients (obviously).
  • There aren’t enough interest to invest money to center workforce to provide full ePuB3 support. And these days ePub features web technologies like CSS (in fact, tons of ePub readers use a web engine too), so making it feature complete an efficient seems a big challenge too. You can see the many issues ePub support have by looking at the
Summary

MuPDF’s EPub bugtracker.

Most modern ePub readers really use a web engine. This may make sense in certain way, but it’s a lot waste of resources IMO.

Do you remember CoolReader?There’s a zillion of forks and the original project gets occasionally updated with some stuff.

KOReader: A very promising project with potential at code sharing

koreader

KOReader is not just an ebook reader application, but a complete reading-focused environment. Take a look at their code and give an opinion about it, please.

I’m going to paste and reorganize part of their README.md, as it explains it a lot better than me…

• Available for multiple devices:
    • Kindle.
    • Kobo.
    • PocketBook.
    • Ubuntu Touch.
    • Android.

(NOTE: Developers may use a KOReader device emulator)

• Several optimizations for e-ink devices:

• Paginated menus without animation.
    • Adjustable text contrast.
  • High number of supported document file formats:

• Paged fixed-layout: PDF, DjVu, CBT, and CBZ,
    • Reflowable ones: ePub, fb2, mobi, doc, chm and plain text (“txt”).
    • Scanned PDF/DjVu documents: Reflow them with the built-in K2pdfopt tool.
  • Multi-lingual user interface.

• Send ebooks to other KOReader powered devices with the ZSYNC protocol.

• Online Over-The-Air software update: No need to manually update it.

• Lookup words: Use of sources like StarDict dictionaries & Wikipedia.

• Highlights are exportable to an EverNote cloud account.

• Interactive connection with online OPDS catalogs.

• Highly customizable reader view and typesetting options:

• Set arbitrary page margins and line space.
    • Use of external fonts and styles.
    • Built-in multi-lingual hyphenation dictionaries.
  • Calibre integration, wirelessly!:

• Using a Calibre OPDS server will interconnect your KOReader powered device with Calibre and browse your library, send and download as many books you want. You have many choices:
      • Official calibre-server
      • Standalone: COPS and calibre2opds.

To me is a partial resucitation of OpenInkPot, this time in the main part of it. I hope to someday see a complete platform for e-ink devices and cheaper prices for high end ones.

Did I say it has the most improved fork of crengine/CoolReader?

Supporting other formats better

There’s a pet project by Bartek Fabiszewski, a long time user of MobileRead Forums. This project is named libmobi and implements the MobiPocket format even in it’s newer encarnations. Despite it’s incomplete, many projects already use it.

I use multiple operating systems, but Open Source ones are my favorite.

The situation in FOSS is quite messy IMO:

• Each one is targeted for different environment and toolkits
  • I found frequently one or a few are bad at certain file formats while others are better at them, even in a very considerably form.
    • This even happens in Evince and Okular, I prefer not comment much about KDE and Gnome,but both projects seems a mess and bloated in my opinion.

Portable and efficient framework for document reader software?

What about if different projects would be able to “magically” organize to make something like the FFMpeg of document file formats? More code reuse, more quality, less repeated efforts.

How would you call it? My ideas:

• Documentum.
  • Babeldoc.
  • Docread
  • Pergamum.

What do you think? I find difficult to find something that can’t be confused with a book library. but English isn’t my native language… :smiley:

Kind regards.

(Please join the messages and let me put a lot more links, please: The information is quite incomplete in this form :frowning: )

@kjk Are you there? Did you read me? What do you think about it?