Forum moved here!

Home / Seperate Sumatra Editor App

RGarudan

Can you guys release a separate minimal editor app that can do basic PDF editing like
Merge, Split, Extract, Rotate, Delete Pages, Add Password Protection, Remove Password Protection, Cropping PDF, Signature verification, One Click Theme Changer (Day, Night, Sepia, Custom).
I think all this is supported by MuPDF.
I currently use the
PDFsam Basic for - Merge, Split, Extract, Rotate, Delete Pages, Remove Password Protection, and it works great.
PDFsam Basic have no option for - Adding Password Protection, Cropping & Signature verification.
Sumatra PDF for - PDF viewing and Creating Annotations
Sumatra PDF have no option for - One Click Theme Changer (Day, Night, Sepia, Custom)
Adobe Free version for - Signature verification.
Libre Draw for - Adding Password Protection.

Can you guys create a fork of PDFsam with an added feature like Cropping, Adding Password Protection, and Signature Verification?
Or create an Editor fork of MuPDF.

kjk

I plan to add more features like that but I can’t tell which ones and when.

RGarudan

Are you planning to create it as separate app?

kjk

No, it would just be SumatraPDF with more features.

RGarudan

Can you add an icon here for changing the book theme like Day, Night, Sepia & Custom. It would have been nice to change the theme with one click instead of going into the setting file and editing it. What do you think?

GitHubRulesOK

Theme support in the past, as a one at a time choice, was on dropdowns, but removed as it did not work well, thus no longer supported. It is not an inline “reading” action as the others are. The area you highlight may often not be seen on smaller tablets, however is now used to show reminder of unsaved “highlight” actions.

RGarudan

Any possibility for a Dark mode or Invert Mode where Images are not inverted. Because its pretty hard to read at night with the white BG

GitHubRulesOK

Only if someone rewrites ALL the color related code for windows 10 (it was a lot easier on XP :slight_smile: )

RGarudan

Lol, does the code from android works? There is an open-source MuPDF app in Fdroid that have the option for invert.

GitHubRulesOK

MuPDF for android is a slightly different beast and MuPDF for windows (the core of SumatraPDF) with practically no surrounding interface also inverts image colours with text.

Eric_Chabrier

Hello,
the speed to display pdf and the fact Sumatra don’t lock the pdf.
Are the reasons, we chosen this tool, thank you again for that :0)
I hope the new features will not change these assets.
I wish you all a nice day,
Eric

GitHubRulesOK

@Eric_Chabrier The PDF locking is actually still there, It was up to10 MB but recently raised to 32 MB so still watch out for boundary problems. PS to PDF conversion is limited by a timeout (also recently increased) but for that there is an unlimited time setting.

GadgetSteve

I would strongly recommend taking a look at PDF TK Server:

It is free and can do a lot of what you are asking for (from the command line):
PDFtk Server can:

• Merge PDF Documents or Collate PDF Page Scans
  • Split PDF Pages into a New Document
  • Rotate PDF Documents or Pages
  • Decrypt Input as Necessary (Password Required)
  • Encrypt Output as Desired
  • Fill PDF Forms with X/FDF Data and/or Flatten Forms
  • Generate FDF Data Stencils from PDF Forms
  • Apply a Background Watermark or a Foreground Stamp
  • Report PDF Metrics, Bookmarks and Metadata
  • Add/Update PDF Bookmarks or Metadata
  • Attach Files to PDF Pages or the PDF Document
  • Unpack PDF Attachments
  • Burst a PDF Document into Single Pages
  • Uncompress and Re-Compress Page Streams
  • Repair Corrupted PDF (Where Possible)

PDFtk Server does not require Adobe Acrobat or Reader, and it runs on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.

GitHubRulesOK

As posted by @GadgetSteve you can run PDFTK commands from inside SumatraPDF to do some functions whilst viewing a PDF see other ROTATE question where I use Command Line tools to rotate just the page I am viewing.

That method can be applied to some other actions without closing the file. However note my answer to @Eric_Chabrier since there is a working limit of 32 MB.

AS an alternative the same PDF file can be opened in a second window for bigger edits, and on saving there, SumatraPDF will adjust your view. I use that method for adding inking comments / annotation in a second Edge view whilst adding text in SumatraPDF. (best of both worlds)

RGarudan

Is this from sumatra

GitHubRulesOK

Are you asking can PDF editing actions be driven from SumatraPDF then the answer is SOMETIMES.

SumatraPDF 3.3 can add highlights to a PDF to be saved at the end of the PDF (Same as any other editor always keep a backup first just in case there is some later failure)
Whilst adding Highlights in SumatraPDF you might want to draw a freehand ring or add some annotation using MS Edge. So whilst viewing a file you can send an instruction to Edge to open the same File and work with both windows using save in each (but there is a limit which is the 32 MB barrier I discussed).
Likewise whilst viewing a PDF in SumatraPDF you might want to delete or permanently rotate just the page you are viewing, again you can use SumatraPDF to send an external instruction to a tool to delete or rotate the page before your very eyes. Again the same 32 MB limit applies.

In all cases there are so many ways that could be done that need you to choose your own tool set and write an instruction to suit it (including a means to backup :slight_smile: )
Search the Forum for “ExternalViewers” (one word) to see some examples I use myself or get ideas for your own use.

RGarudan

I was asking about the invert image that you posted. I use Sumatra prerelease for annotations. It’s works well without any external tool, couldn’t find any issue with annotations so far.

GitHubRulesOK

Sorry the image is as shown in MuPDF for Windows (the inversion of colors cannot be altered) it is the same as would be seen in SumatraPDF as they share similar code. I was making the point that MuPDF may be able to do it in Android but its not a feature they use within Windows., Although it might be possible to write code to do that its just a small Problem of reprogramming most of windows 10 behaviours.

RGarudan

Thank you so much for the suggestion. After searching about the project you mentioned, I found a new project named PDFTK Builder Enhanced with GUI support and having more features than PDFsam.
https://pdftk-builder-enhanced.sourceforge.io/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdftk-builder-enhanced/files/

RGarudan

I think you don’t need to add all these features into Sumatra.
I found a new project named PDFTK-Builder-Enhanced that have all the features I mentioned into a portable app.
It could have been great if you add only two features,

1. Auto cropping PDF
  2. Signature verification into Sumatra.