Forum moved here!

Home / Integrating WIndows TTS into Sumatra

RGarudan

It would have been great if you add Windows TTS support into Sumatra PDF.

[Simple TTS Guide (SAPI 5.3) | Microsoft Docs](https://Simple TTS Guide (SAPI 5.3))
[TTS Engine Vendor Porting Guide (SAPI 5.3) | Microsoft Docs](https://TTS Engine Vendor Porting Guide (SAPI 5.3))

GitHubRulesOK

There was/is User Interface support for Narrator and potentially others, but exposing the canvas contents has always been hit and miss since the page is in many cases an image (what you see as text is not always real text for TTS) thus a TTS reader may need to do its own OCR.

I have used many screen readers with mixed effect inside SumatraPDF for PDF eBook and other text content. However the simplest for a PDF is to pass the current page as a secondary copy to Edge (or Acrobat) to read the accessible text aloud.

RGarudan

How do you pass the page to edge. I can’t open PDF files in edge, only EPUB files opens in it. I normally convert the PDF file to EPUB in Calibre and use its TTS. It’s a pain for Annotations most E-Books readers don’t support the viewing of embedded Annotations of Calibre. Do you have any plan for supporting Calibre Embedded annotations for EPUB?

GitHubRulesOK

If your using Edge with ePub you are probably using Edge classic (AFAIK new edge does NOT support ePub, without extensions) Classic should also have support for PDF, that was why it became a PITA as it stopped SumatraPDF being default PDF reader.
Launching a pdf into new edge is as easy as calling edge.exe with the filename and optionally page number to open at. However I use other edge features so dont pass the page number. one of my ExternalViewers is Alt+F+D

[
		CommandLine = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" -inprivate -profile-directory=Default "%1"
		Name = e&Dgium [Gif movie] | [Cast To / Inking / Print / Read Aloud]
		Filter = *.gif;*.pdf;*.txt
	]

RGarudan

Sorry, I haven’t tried opening EPUB in edge after updating, I thought it was same as before. I can confirm you now it’s not opening both EPUB and PDF, lol. Well I find converting pdf to epub in calibre to be easier for me than using edge for tts.