Forum moved here!

Home / How to read Manga properly from right to left?

cerio
  1. Asian comic books need to change the order of left and right pages, for some Asian books are read from right to left.

2. In book mode, some books need to display the cover separately to ensure the continuity of left and right pages.

GitHubRulesOK

@cerio

There is a command line setting -manga-mode mode : Enables or disables “Manga mode” for reading (mainly Japanese) comic books from right to left. Mode must be “true” or 1 for enabling and “false” or 0 for disabling this feature. For having two shortcuts with and without this may be a solution.

However if most are in the same direction (R2L) use settings > advanced options and change false to true
CbxMangaMode = true

For each file there is an entry DisplayR2L = false or true that may depend on internal flags in the comic

Another related setting is setting > options the Default Layout when opening you can set it to Bookview (with cover) or Facing (without cover)

cerio

Thank you for your reply.

I looked into the advanced Settings, but I couldn’t find the“Manga mode”.

I found the CbxMangaMode and set CbxMangaMode = true but nothing happened

DisplayR2L = false cannot be modified

I still can’t figure it out.

GitHubRulesOK

Looking closer at your image it is a .mobi file and manga mode is not applied to e-publications

Also you are using Fixed interface so the only control option will be facing or book and page order is down to the author(ing) application

cerio

What a pity!

I think e-publications needs manga mode Too!

gm42

Hi,
I recently buy some manga in pdf and epub format and I try to use the manga mode but this is absolutely not working. I click on View >> Manga Mode, but nothing happened.
I tried to go in Advanced Settings and changed some parameters with the same result.

I already searched in this forum but the only answer I found doesn’t satisfying me and I hope some can help me with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

SumatraPeter

As mentioned in the settings file documentation:

# customization options for Comic Book and images UI
ComicBookUI [
    # if true, default to displaying Comic Book files in manga mode
    # (from right to left if showing 2 pages at a time)
    CbxMangaMode = false
]

So Manga Mode is only for Comic Book (.CBx) files, and that too only when viewing in 2-page i.e. Facing or Book View modes.

With newer daily and pre-release versions (incorporating this commit) the Manga Mode menu item is displayed only for comic book files so as not to confuse users.

gm42

Thanks a lot about your answer, it was not clear for me when I read the documentation;
I try with a .cbz manga and it works perfectly.