Forum moved here!

Home / [Fixed in 3.2] Error loading cbr comic files in older 3.1.2

tiedexen

Hello
I use Sumatra for reading comic files with rar compression (cbr ending). It worked for me until Sumatra version 3+.
Sumatra 2.5.2 reads cbr files fine, Sumatra 3+ does not. (I just check it)
I get the following error:
Error loading filepath/file.cbr

Please could you fix it?

Many thanks for your gorgeous Sumatra reader.

Kind regards

Tiedexen

PS: I also opened an issue on github.

GitHubRulesOK

[UPDATE] NOTE this should not need a fix or be an issue with Version 3.2
I had replied to this issue on GitHub, however for others that may have a similar problem with older version 3.1.2 my reply is here

from release notes
3.0 (2014-10-18)
•replaced non-free UnRAR with a free RAR extraction library
(if some CBR files fail to open for you, please download unrar.dll from
http://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm and place it alongside SumatraPDF.exe)

NOTE the unrar.dll file is currently the fourth entry on the page and downloads an installer intended for developers, you will need to run the installer for it to extract its contents to a temporary location then find the correct one of two “unrar.dll” files the x32 bit is the one you will see first HOWEVER if you are running SumatraPDF x64 you will need to find and copy the unrar.dll from the x64 directory
once you have copied the file(s) you need you can delete the temporary folder

ianas

in the past sumatra use to use code from rarlab but that code was not opensourced so they switched to a different unrar library they did keep an option for the user to download the unrar.dll fikle and put it in the same directory as sumatra that’s what I do

you can get the unrar dll files from
https://rarlab.com/rar/UnRARDLL.exe
this is a self extracting rar archive you can rename it to UnRARDLL.rar and open it with winrar or 7-zip
just keep in mind to copy the 32bit unrar.dll if you’re using a 32 bit sumatra or the 64bit unrar64.dll if you’re using 64 bit sumatra the 64bit dll is in the x64 folder in that archive

Usher

Just to fill in missing info. WinRar introduced a new archive format in version 5.0 and archives created in new WinRar may be unreadable by old unrar versions.