Forum moved here!

Home / Feature Request: New window of an open pdf

jdachman

In acrobat, you can open a new window of a pdf you have open already. This is useful if you want to look at two different pages of a pdf at the same time. I recommend adding this feature to Sumatra.

Thank you!

GitHubRulesOK

It would be a useful feature that has been requested many times

[later edit] AND IS NOW AVAILABLE in VERSION 3.2 or later
using CTRL + SHIFT + N

The old work around was to edit SumatraPDF-settings.txt

where D: is the drive your program is located and your \AbsolutePath\ could be \ProgramFiles
watch out for the spelling and number of brackets e.g.

ExternalViewers [
[
CommandLine = D:\AbsolutePath\SumatraPDF.exe “%1”
Name = Second window
Filter = *.pdf
]
]

dgasaway

This trick isn’t working for me. I also tried putting the exe path in quotes, as there are spaces. Either way, nothing happens when I click the menu item. I know the path is correct, as I can paste it into the Run dialog.

ExternalViewers [ [ CommandLine = "C:\Program Files (x86)\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe" "%1" Name = second window Filter = *.pdf ] ]

GitHubRulesOK

thanks for the feedback, you are correct that SumatraPDF will not play ball if recalling itself, I forget I use several copies
At its simplest this WILL work if you copy the exe into the same folder so you get
“SumatraPDF - Copy.exe” then your command needs to be

ExternalViewers [
	[
	CommandLine = "C:\Program Files (x86)\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF - Copy.exe" "%1"
	Name = second window
	Filter = *.pdf
	]
]

or to open any valid file (not just pdf) at the same page use

ExternalViewers [
	[
	CommandLine = "C:\Program Files (x86)\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF - Copy.exe" "%1" -page %p
	Name = second window
	Filter = *.*
	]
]

so using the pull down in my second tab showing page 4 I will get a result such as