Forum moved here!

Home / Building the installer

ianas

after some time I wanted to rebuild sumatrapdf only to discover the installer project was gone from the vs solution, the same is true for the premake5.lua while there use to be a section regarding the installer now it’s gone, how is the sumatrapdf installer build nowadays?

ianas

I see the main exe now doubles for the installer and that’s why it’s so bigger, I’m not sure this is a good idea seeing how it’s small size was one of sumatrapdf’s features, keeping all the dlls in the main exe after install is strange, but it’s Krzysztof’s choice.

GitHubRulesOK

Hi ianis I would be interested to see your latest compile.
sorry had written this before I saw your second post

there is NO installer it is ONE-EXE (installer, payload carrier, run time exe & uninstaller)

AFAIK there has been no significant change to https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/docs/Our-build-system.html
That is the daily build process is triggered by do-it.bat
The premake5.files.lua was updated as recently as 2 days ago

ianas

I haven’t tested it too much, I can see that some defines have been removed.
The 64bit portable can not be packed with upx, but as far as I can tell the thumb preview still works for all formats and the you can still copy text from restricted pdf.
my current build can be found here
https://mega.nz/folder/WwIiFDyZ#eA2g4lws9YNOuEI0a9Dkpw

GitHubRulesOK

@ianas first look is not bad not a complaint but there are a few oddities
32bit 12458 portable built on daily code behaves as if its 3.3 full release
so no annotation or debug menu and oddly says there is a newer 3.3.12434 ! :slight_smile:

p.s. I generally prefer NO upx (its easier to mod / usually quicker to run / less risk of corruption on unpacking / less likely to trigger anti-virus and users can do their own packing if they wish)

ianas

I don’t tweak any of the code I just edit the premake5.lua file to enable the experimental features to build for the release build they’re only active for debug builds, I haven’t tried the 32 bit version yet, I just reinstalled windows so it’s going to take me some time to get visual studio community and all the other apps installed before I can do a rebuild.

ianas

did you test the 32bit installer on 32bit windows as the preview handlers don’t work with 64bit explorer.

GitHubRulesOK

No I only tested 32bit & 64 bit portable on x64 to see any basic differences

my 32bit machine is not always on to test installing preview

I have several 64 bit versions on this machine that would clash with another 64 bit installer