Forum moved here!

Home / Always run Sumatra with “-invert-colors” active

Herb_Sewell

I want Sumatra to run the command line, “-invert-colors,” every single time I open it. Modifying the shortcut isn’t sufficient, as, when I chose to open files using Sumatra, it runs without the command line. I would rather not deal with registry values. I would assume there would be a way to force this command line to run every time by modifying the advanced settings text tile, but I have not discovered this method.

Thank you.

SumatraPeter

You can try flipping (or adjusting as per your needs) all the TextColor and BackgroundColor values in the settings file. Short of editing the registry to add -invert-colors to the default command line, this is the best you can do.

matrix

Hello there,

Is there a way (advance settings or other) which will default start Sumatra with inverted colours?

I currently do it via the -invert-colors command-line argument. Works well.

But I would rather just double click on a PDF no matter which version of the shortcut is running.

Let me know your thoughts?

GitHubRulesOK

It may be possible to mess with registry settings to force the inversion, however you don’t need to do that.

Personally I would stick with shortcuts as you have that invert on demand, for viewing negatives.
You can add them to SendTo or drop a folder of negatives on the icon etc.
What -invert-colors does was provide one short command amongst other several older depreciated ones such as -set-color-range #dddddd #333333 but in essence it replicates this

FixedPageUI [
	TextColor = #ffffff
	BackgroundColor = #000000

so setting those values means that you get the opposite effect when using -invert-colors thus should then make things “normal” !

You can get into smelborp when playing around with reversing colour ranges, I had to delete the settings file to prove it worked as you require, but the result same as -invert-colors is not good for everyday use in 3.2+ compared to 3.1.2.
hence my suggestion to use the shortcut as normal just when its needed.

emayor

I succesfully achieved to modify the command executed when you double-click a PDF file so that it runs with -invert-colors!

All you have to do is make sure Sumatra is the default PDF application, then run regedit.exe. Go to:
\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\SumatraPDF\shell\open\command
(if you want to apply this change only to your user account)

or

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SumatraPDF\shell\open\command
(if you want to apply this change to all users)

Inside the command folder, there’s a key. Double-click it and you should see something like this:
“C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe” “%1” %*

Insert -invert-colors without quotes between the path and the “%1”, and making sure there’s blank space on both sides, just like this
“C:\Users<your user name>\AppData\Local\SumatraPDF\SumatraPDF.exe” -invert-colors “%1” %*

And that’s it! It should work from now on. You may have to re-login to apply changes.

GitHubRulesOK

In latest pre-version just press i installed or portable
No need to add -invert-colors to the start command or mess with the registry