Sumatra PDF is a PDF, ePub, MOBI, CHM, XPS, DjVu, CBZ, CBR reader for Windows

Question: Command Line Print Resolution and Size

Hello,

Has there been any improvement since this post ?

I would like to print oversize drawings to a Windows Drive for Largeformat Plotters/Inkjets from the Command Line.
Having a ‘Papersize’ option and a rendering resolution that is passed in from the command line would be ideal.
thanks

There was improvement to specify A2 or A6 in addition to A3 A4 A5
the default resolution is down to the driver but you will likely hit other issues before that needs changing.

I worked for decades supporting Large format scan and plot systems so suspect you will find SumatraPDF unsuited to your needs.

In CAD Vector plotting
1 unit of vector line is the same memory storage no matter what the scale or resolution

Rasterised plotting requires vast memory reserves so as you jump size say
A6 = 1 Memory unit
A4 = 4 Memory units
A2 = 16 Memory units
A0 = 256 Memory units

No mater what the units are it is the non linear escalation that causes limitations.

Using MS Print to PDF with a version I modified to cover A6 to A2 to match SumatraPDF range. I got these results using a greyscale example which are not too bad however (due to compression) they are not the real world volumes that would be sent by the spooler.

A6 = 4.7 MB
A4 = 14.38 MB
A2 = 34.74 MB

Understood. Thank you for the explanation.
Printing requirement for me is indeed Largeformat Vector and Scans in the range of 36x72" (or 914x2000mm)
It seems other PDF apps are doing this in Vector mode and do not convert to Raster unless a “Print as Image” mode is explicitly enabled.
I did test MuPDF, the underlying Renderer in Sumatra. It has no problems creating an Image at 36x72" at 300dpi. Large file…yes, but still worked fine.
Can that file not be copied in an efficient way into the Windows Spoolers Print buffer ?
Not experienced enough to comment further on the technical details of the actual printing but thank you anyways for the quick response.

Always difficult to project forward to spot snags in printing,
Command line printing often requires settings be optimized by different parts of the system, but at the end of the day it is that giant spoolfile getting copied through a cable in an orderly fashion.

In the good old days we just said Copy file.prn LPT then crossed toes and everything. In windows its still the same under the hood, just the expectations and process interuptions are greater.

I would start with a simple (low memory) diagonal line in 36 x 72 border saved as PDF then try plotting that at A2 but that is the Max for SumatraPDF as it stands.

Sumatrapdf.exe -print-to-default -print-settings “paper=A2” filename.pdf

First issue will be lack of any controls over scaling so would first need to produce the pdf to suit A0 border ratio (841 x 1189) i.e. not 36 x 72 then one can be confident the plot is DO NOT SCALE but as we know Jack will try to use thumb lengths for building his house then say the drawing was wrong.

Since you want it at A0 we need to tell the default driver to use an A0 sheet and fit the A2 input to match it @ double size.
With a bit of luck ( font strokes and line weights were specified correctly) so out pops an A0 sheet with a diagonal line all the way across