Forum moved here!

Home / Filename when hovering over tabs [Fixed]

stele

Hi all,

I’ve been using Sumatra for some time now and I really like the fact that it’s fast and lightweight. If I may, however, I’d like to suggest 2 features:-

1. Ctrl-A selects all text (where present) - just like in Adobe Acrobat. This would be great for copying all text in a PDF to another document. In Sumatra it currently selects the whole page, which may be not as useful (nothing much one can do with that).

2. Hovering the mouse cursor over the file tab causes the full name of the document to appear as a tooltip. This is very useful when opening many documents in a tab. Right now the only way around it is to set Sumatra to not use tabs, which causes too many windows to open.

Many thanks in advance for considering!

SumatraPeter

Already suggested #2 a few years back:

Tabbed view improvement suggestions (archive.org)

GitHubRulesOK

SumatraPDF has always been Able to Ctrl + A all content Good OR BAD
Here is NotePad output starting from Page down to end of 2/2
In this case the visible Characters Ar not well defined but the underlying “plain” text is ! (Bad font name definition)

student13371

Show a filename tool tip (pop up) on tab mouse hover.

Having multiple files open makes the filenames appear clipped in the corresponding tabs on the title bar.

It would be nice to have a feature that hovering a mouse cursor over the specific tab shows a tool tip with a filename of the file that is opened in that particular tab.

[Edit 2021-07-14]
it will look like this

SumatraPeter

Not long till it’ll be the third anniversary of my requesting this:

and

Hopefully some day…

Paladin3by

Need tooltip with book titles:

SumatraPeter

Been waiting patiently for many years now…

Kevp

Sumatra PDF has been very useful for my purposes. I leave it open with documentation I need to refer to from time to time. IMHO, there’s only one area where it really needs improvement: tab management. I am a little surprised that it doesn’t offer tooltips on the tabs, so when you hover your mouse over truncated filenames you can see the whole name in a tooltip. That feature is seemingly everywhere in desktop apps: in Windows explorer and the taskbar, in text editors, in web browsers, on web pages themselves, etc.

Here’s a screenshot of the top of my Sumatra window as it almost always appears:

(I appended to the bottom of the image a screenshot of tab management options in UltraEdit I originally tried to attach to the last paragraph here because I got an error message when trying to post that said new users can only upload 1 image.)

Because the file names are truncated on the tabs, I usually find myself scrolling all the way to the top of the documents to see the title page to make sure I’m looking at the right PDF. (I do refer to the docs often but not often enough to remember all of their positions on the tabs.) I know there are other ways to solve this problem: I could rename the files, I could keep fewer of them open at the same time, I could maximize the window, etc. But none of those options seem especially appealing.

The text editor I use most often, UltraEdit, offers many useful tab management options. It would be great to see such options added to Sumatra PDF, but just having tooltips on the tabs would be a godsend.

SumatraPeter

+1 to this, and many more:

and

GitHubRulesOK

@Kevp
A quick F2 will confirm the filename name (and path where it came from) simply cancel (Esc) to continue.
Equally a safer way is Ctrl + D followed by Esc to confirm properties but its more keys and more awkward

Agreed none is as good as tooltips for scanning especially all open files but until then…

audi4444player

It’s a year later, is it possible to add this? It would be nice to see what the tabs say I imagine it shouldn’t be more difficult than copying the code that does it for the menu buttons and telling it to get the text from the tab title.

SumatraPeter

Of course it would be nice and of course it is possible. However as with lots of other niggling issues, the required code may or may not be that simple but the problem is that there seems to be no-one with the time or motivation to actually write it. The primary (and sole) dev is not that active anymore and outside contributions are few and far between. So really, there’s nothing to be done here except see the open bug reports and feature requests for this fine FOSS project multiply in number, which makes me a bit sad…

GitHubRulesOK

I think the code may have already been pencilled in (class TabItemInfo )
I think the issue is where to hook it into e.g. a tab or key related action

gnuarm

I see I’m not the only one who would like to see this feature added. I would like to ask for even more though. There are times when I’m juggling files in different directories with the same name. It would be very useful if the mouse over would provide not just the file name, but the full path.

What I have to do now is to use cntl-D to pop up a dialog which then has to be dismissed. A tab mouse over seems to be the perfect way to easily view the full path of each file.

gnuarm

This is the only feature that I repeatedly would like to have added to Sumatra.

GeneConnor

Many pdf files have titles that overflow the horizontal space on the tab. If you could hover the mouse and show the full title (and extension), that would be nice!

Thanks!

cmkpl

As I have many tabs, I hope to have this feature

Fandanguero

Yeah, strongly support for tab tooltips. No need for other fancy stuff, no need to overcomplicate the minimalistic design we have now, no extra job. Just implement the tooltips and that’s all.

BunyaminBozdagli

. Can you add this like chrome ac 36734454

Because title names not showing when i opened ten tabs. Thanks.

Russ

I often have several document open at once - many times the first few characters of the file names are the same. As the tabs get smaller with an increasing number of open documents, it becomes difficult to distinguish one document from another without clicking on it. Would it be possible, in a “tool-tips” fashion, to display the entire document name while hovering the mouse over the tabs? Thanks for your consideration and for creating such a great app!